Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Here I go again

Looks like this blogging thing might just take off.

Knitting going on around this house. I just finished a self-designed scarf for a nephew in return for a huge favor he did our family recently. He's a wonderful young man and deserves the "kick ass scarf" that I promised him. Hope this one qualifies as "kick ass".
Robb's Scarf



It's a reversible cable and rib pattern. Very simple to do, actually. I used Cascade 220 in black and grey tweed yarns. Needle size #8's.
Cast on a multiple of 4 stitches. (48 in this scarf - 32 in black and 16 in tweed. You can decide how wide, just remember to use a 4 stitch multiple.)
Knit in k2 p2 rib for 4 rows beginning with tweed side, twisting the two colors of yarn around each other once as in intarsia knitting.
On 5th row, slip first 8 tweed stitches onto a cable needle and hold in back, k2 p2 next 8 tweed stitches from left needle, then k2 p2 8 tweed stitches from cable needle. Twist black and tweed yarns around each other once (intarsia style) and continue with black in k2 p2.
Continue in ribbing, twisting the yarns at each color change and cabling every 10 rows or so. You decide how tight or loose you want the cables to be.
Bind off in ribbing when the scarf is long enough, you're bored out of your skull, or run out of yarn.
If you don't want to fiddle with the color changes, use a single color. It flies along very quickly.
Swallowtail Shawl Progress

I've begun my second lace shawl. Since the Shetland Triangle was such a pleasure to knit, I decided to go with another Evelyn Clark design in the Swallowtail from Interweave Knits Fall '06 issue. These are wonderful learning to knit lace projects. They aren't huge, are easily memorized, and give a lot of design bang for your knitting buck. So to speak. Ask me if I feel the same after working some nupps. We'll see.




Yarn: Morehouse Merino laceweight in a heathery lichen green.
Needles: Inox size # 5
I plan to knit this a bit larger by knitting 19 repeats instead of 14 in the main body of the shawl. I think I read somewhere that the math works out correctly this way. If anyone knows different, please let me know.
Next up is something from Victorian Lace Today. My new favorite book. I have some Zephyr calling out to me.
Later,
Arachne

No comments: